Are you a marketing or advertising tech (MadTech) startup? Then listen up. Now entering the second half of our third year, Collider is at it again. Applications are now open for the Class of 2016 programme, and we're putting £150k of equity investment up for grabs to the hottest MadTech startups out there. But it’s not just the money that’s worth getting excited about, we also deliver an awesome programme to help you make that money go further. What makes the programme a winner for MadTech startups? Brands & Agencies. Some of the biggest and the best. Collider partners with the likes of Unilever, Havas Media, Ogilvy & Mather Group UK, The National Lottery, BBC Worldwide and many more. All of these brands and agencies commit their time to meeting and mentoring Collider’s startups.
We all know how important customer development is, right? Well, our startups get invaluable, early and in-depth access to leading brands and agencies across a range of industries. Startups spend time with Brand Managers, SVPs of Digital and everyone in between to really get to the bottom of customer problems. By better understanding their customers, Collider startups refine their proposition and tech with the confidence that they’re building something brands actually want.
It’s not just the brands that make this the best place for MadTech startups, it’s the investors too. Collider investors are the smartest money out there – be it industry stalwarts who have risen to the top of global brands like Pepsico and Unilever or entrepreneurs who have set up and sold agencies; these investors offer golden advice and a contact book to die for.
And what does it all add up to? Deals and plenty of them. After 7 months of the Class of 2014 cohort, nine Collider startups had signed £560k worth of deals with 28 brands. This is how the team here judge ourselves – we believe the way to fuel your business is revenue not investment. But if you do want the stats on that, 70% of our first cohort of startups went on to raise follow-on money.
So, what’s the deal I hear you say?
- Collider is offering up to 10 startups £50k cash for 11% equity. We charge £10k for the Collision phase programme – four months of brand interactions, intensive one-on-one coaching, workshops and support from the likes of Taylor Wessing and Deloitte.
- After four months Collider will then invest a further £100k cash for 11% equity in up to five of the startups, as decided by our investors. No need to spend six months fundraising; the investment is decided on immediately and paid into accounts within one week. Collider will charge £10k for a further 8 months’ support getting the founders ready for their Series A, including monthly board meetings, fundraising work etc.
What is Collider looking for?
- Startups which provide tools to help brands identify, understand, engage with or sell to consumers
- Collider is particularly excited about the possibilities of tools for video, online to offline, dynamic and native advertising, automated marketing, marketing analytics, e-commerce and m-commerce and offline digital retail. And much, much more.
- Startups with a minimum of two founders
- Startups which are at or near MVP stage
- Startups which are willing to travel to London on a weekly basis, but can be based anywhere
Finally, what do the alumni have to say about it? Here’s Carl Wong, co-founder of Collider startup LivingLens:
“I can say that the value we have received has been incredible - the brilliance of the advisor pool, the top quality & seniority of the brand side people, and the real opportunities to work with these brands, has made the experience so great that in retrospect, I would have GIVEN our shares away for free to be part of this. It has been without question, the best decision and most rewarding experience of my career, and I would wholeheartedly recommend Collider to any start-up.”